Welcome

So a long time ago (the mid-1990s), the greatest writer in comics agreed to take over the writing duties for Image Comics' Supreme. He would radically reshape the character, the book, and due to forces beyond his control, a whole comic book universe. And it led to an award-winning run of comics, three additional titles (among several proposed) and ultimately led to the genesis of Moore's much better known America's Best Comics. And then it all went out of print and was forgotten by way too many.

Having gathered quite a bit of information about Moore's Supreme and Awesome runs, I decided to create a home for the forgotten Awesome. Over the course of a year, I put it all together here.

Each week I did a main "Weekly Reading" post that was a read-through of that issue. I followed that up with a couple of other posts about topics from that Weekly Reading or whatever else I came up with to talk about. You'll find the lost Youngbloods in the Youngblood section and the fan-edit of the last Supreme in After Awesome.

Below is the archive of posts broken up by book. Thanks for checking the site out!

Book 1: Supreme: The Story of the Year

Book 1: Judgment Day

Book 3: Supreme: The Return

Book 4: Youngblood

Book 5: Glory

Book 6: After Awesome

Book 7: 1963

Book 8: Night Raven

Book 9: A Small Killing

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Rev's Supreme and Youngblood on the way!

I've talked about this before, but Andrew Rev has licensed Youngblood, Supreme and many more of Rob Liefeld's Image/Extreme/Awesome creations from R.I.P. Media (owned or formerly owned by Scott Rosenberg). He's put out some of the images onto social media, so we're starting to get an idea of where they're going:


From the above images, it looks like we're getting a new version of the Allies, maybe, or we're seeing Supreme's WWII history yet again? It looks decent, but we'll have to see if the story is any good or even references the Moore material.

Then there's this.

  

So Youngblood is back and it looks like only Doc Rocket and Twilight made it onto the team this time. 

Doesn't it seem weird that there's a Youngblood and no Shaft? 

What do you all think?

24 comments:

  1. Looks better than I expected. 🤷🏻‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... right? Liefeld certainly put out things much worse than this.

      Delete
    2. I think that's why I don't feel as bad as some others do about Liefeld losing the rights to his creations. It's not like he's been doing such a great job developing them in the last 25 years.

      Delete
  2. My feelings exactly. I never like to see creators not control their own characters but he did this to himself and, with few exceptions, he has consistently mismanaged them.

    Btw, I really enjoy this blog: you do a great and thorough job covering a comics history niche that deserves a passionate spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke! Glad you're here. I'm currently doing a closed Facebook group about all this stuff that's filled with lots of old Supreme and Awesome fans. If you'd like, let me know and I'll shoot you an invitation.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow yes please that’s be great. My name is Luke Hackenberg if you can find me on on FB? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Ha... too many Luke Hackenbergs in Facebook. Do me a favor and look up Miskatonic High on Facebook and friend me there. Then I can add you to the group.

      Delete
  3. I knew about this blog, but somehow assumed it was one of those created years ago that just eneded withou word, I didn't know it's still going! Glad to know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm still here. I have a few things to post but have been so busy with COVID-19 nonsense that I haven't quite gotten there. If you don't mind me asking, when and how did you discover Supreme (that's always my intro question)?

      Delete
  4. His (Rev's) 'official twitter' does not give me very much hope. And rather than stating something about quality and professionalism, it goes on about "BIG PAY DAY".

    Also the grammar (it's is correct for his "its"). Well, then.

    AjenoD
    -


    llcTerrific
    '' ...Titles hold the potential of Youngblood its part of Image history. Terrific Production ''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's said that he has a double-sized issue written by Moore coming up, so I assume that's Moore's Youngblood 3+4 together. It'll be nice to see it in print, anyway.

      Delete
  5. 2020 -- Still bad news. A fellow Z. Davisson had info from a contract and artist work/pages/convention details by # LLCTerrific.

    Replies?

    Larsen himself [Savage Dragon; Amazing SPIDER-MAN; also a founder of IMAGE Comics] posted this comment: "There is no two ways about it--these guys are bad news."
    -
    SWB
    -
    AjenoD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I think we can say that Rev has been a disaster or Supreme and Youngblood. The only silver lining is he doesn't actually own the rights to both. He's just licensing them. Now we have to hope that the license lapses and someone will finally reprint Supreme and the other series.

      Delete
    2. It's weird but it doesn't seem like many people report it that way on the news sites: they state it like Rev bought the characters. At least it's seemed like that to me. The seeming incompetence of this guy makes me think it won't be long til someone else gets a chance to make a mess of things lol.

      Delete
    3. The ownership thing is complicated and most reporters have a hard time understanding and reporting complicated thing (I say that as someone who was a reporter). I don't know the term of the license, but I have to think it'll expire at some point. With all the outrage when he lost it, I figure Rob Liefeld will probably get first dibs at getting the next license.

      Delete
  6. The biggest shame of this deal is that the Chad Bowers/Jim Towe Youngblood series was the best the series had ever been. Sad to see it derailed, especially for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bowers/Towe Youngblood got killed before this. There were announcements that Liefeld was going to take over the art on issue 12 and then a month or so later, they announced they weren't doing 12 and Liefeld was writing his own Youngblood miniseries instead. Then the Rev news broke. So I think that version of Youngblood went through the normal Youngblood ending of simply falling completely apart.

      Delete
    2. Well, Towe got snatched up by Marvel (which itself points to the fact that the YB must not have been doing that well, as he probably took the Marvel gig for more money). Which is when Rob announced that he would be taking over the artwork. And, yeah, I remember at the time be wary of that, as that's exactly what happened with the Joe Casey YB series and it didn't work out so well (Rob took over the series, did one issue and that it ended).

      Delete
  7. The new YB series will pick up where Bowers/Tome left it at issue 11 and jumps forward 4 years. We have the main YB book coming out, a Troll series called Troll YBI and a Youngblood Shadows book plus a new version of Supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Rob, may i ask what is your connection to these projects? I’ve not heard these details released before. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Interesting. I hope your work appears in print someday.

      Delete
  9. Man, this looked so cool. And yet, I've neither seen nor heard anything about it since. What a shame. I assume it's over.

    ReplyDelete